On this blog you'll find alot of FREE New GRE material!
 Choose what GRE material you need:

GRE ~2 month Study Plan from Bane


   So, you have lots of prep material but don't know what to start with and what should be the sequence? So will try to help you with it a lil bit ;)

   First of all you should choose what skills you need to drill more. That depends from your GRE requirements and from your first PowerPrep score.

1) Inquire on the website of university or better ask the professor you're applying to (if you have one, you should have at least one) what are the minimum GRE requirements to be accepted, also I suggest to ask with what GRE scores people are usually being granted admission.

2) Take first PowerPrep test right on the beginning of your preps. This way you will find out your weak sides and can start preps strengthening them. The second PowerPrep test I suggest you to take 2 weeks before your actual GRE - so if you'll see you still have some weaknesses you also will still have some time to improve.

   Based on results of previous two steps you will need to choose the studying plan according to books you have and skills you need to improve.
 
✓ If your math skills are bad and you want to improve them - the sequence of books should be next: Grubers, Manhattan, ETS, Barrons, Princeton, Kaplan.
✓ If your math skills are good but still you're worried and want to be sure - then the sequence is next: Barrons, Manhattan, Grubers, ETS, Princeton, Kaplan.
✓ If your verbal skills are bad and you want to improve them - the sequence of books should be next: Princeton, Manhattan, ETS, Grubers, Kaplan, Barrons.
✓ If your verbal skills are good but still you're worried and want to be sure - then the sequence is next: Manhattan, Princeton, Kaplan, Grubers, ETS, Barrons.
✓ If you just need to improve everything together and your PowerPrep score was poor, then the sequnce I suggest is: Princeton, Grubers, Manhattan, ETS, Barrons, Kaplan.
✓ If you did great on PowerPrep and need just to drill - then this sequence should be good for you: Grubers, ETS, Manhattan, Barrons, Princeton, Kaplan.
 

* with bold font I've stressed the books that are most important for the case.
** when I talk about math/verbal skills - I mean to go through only math/verbal sections of the book, not the whole book.
*** explanation to abbreviations is down the page.

   Now will explain why do I recommend books to be done in these sequences. If you're "bad" in some skills (PowerPrep score less than 1100) I was recommending first to go through the books that have simpler problems and quite good strategies and then to go through the books with tougher problems. If you're "good" (more than 1100) than I recommend books with tougher problems first and then with simpler just to keep drilling.

   For those who are "bad" - read all the strategies and do all the problems. For those who are "good" - you can omit strategies in the books with simple problems. But if you have time you can just look them through it won't hurt you :)

   Next thing that want to tell is:
✓ That for Verbal section: Princeton > Kaplan > Barrons.
✓ And for Quant section: Barrons > Princeton > Kaplan.
✓ About ETS - well problems are quite simple, but still worth to go through cause guide is from testmakers.
✓ About Grubers - I think it's really good guide for both sections - worth to do anyway.
✓ About Manhattan - I think they did great job and is as well must do as Grubers, it's just more concentrated on strategies, and it will take suppose twice as time as you'll spend on Grubers but it's worth it.

   Now about timing.. generally it takes 6 minutes per page, so one book (~500 pages) should be completed in roughly 7 days if you have 8 hours prep time per day. Don't let one book take more than 2 weeks (unless you have like 3 month of preps). Last few weeks devote to software that is added to some books - just to get used to PC, but remember - it's not PC that will make you confused on your actual GRE, but questions that will appear.

   Also if you see you're out of time during your preps then suggest to limit yourself just doing problems, anyway you will get intuitive instincts to solve the problems if you do them quite a lot. But for that you should at least go through strategies of two books that are bold font in recommended sequences above.

   I suppose after reading this post you'll be lil bit confused, but what can I do.. there's no single studying plan for everyone, so you should choose what is best for you. I just explained everything from my point of view. If you didn't get what you need I suggest you to read this post one more time and you'll understand what's yours ;)


     Hope it will help.
     Best of Luck in in preparing for the GRE!
     Sincerely,
     Bane


P.S. Abbreviations:
ETS - ETS "The Official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test"
Grubers - Gruber's "Complete GRE Guide 2012"
Manhattan - Manhattan GRE set of 8 books ("Algebra", "Fractions, Decimals & Percents", "Geometry", "Numbеr Properties", "Word Problems", "Quantitative Comparison and Data Interpretation", "Reading Comprеhеnsion and Essays", "Text Completion and Sentence Equivalence")
Barrons - Barron's "NEW GRE" 19th ed.
Princeton - The Princeton Review "Cracking the GRE 2012"
Kaplan - Kaplan "New GRE Premier 2011-2012"

49 comments:

  1. All questions you have post in comments, so other people could also get something useful from it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr.BANE please suggest me how to learn math basics to improve my quant score...

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking of buying Barrons new GRE and the official ETS guide for the Revised GRE.. Is it sufficient..?

    ReplyDelete
  3. nope it's not enough unless your PowerPrep score was above 1250..
    e-mail me..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bane, this is very helpful. Just what I needed to be better organised in the next 70 days. One question- I cant find "Manhattan" book, what am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. the new scores are i think out of 170 each section

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeayea will add new scores as well.. just I like more old ones :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi bane, you are doing a great job. So keep up the good work.
    For some time now, it has been suggested that solving Big Book’s Analytical Section questions can be helpful for RC preparation, as RCs are not passages anymore and they tend to be similar to the old GRE format that contained an Analytical Section.
    Problem is that I can only find the Verbal Section of the Big book on the internet.
    Do you know where I can find an uploaded copy of the analytical section of the old GRE?
    Thanks in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sarah: http://ifile.it/1g80fnr/grebigbook.zip

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also need a AWA book which has solution to entire pool of revised GRE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear kindly guide me that what I should do for vocabulary? Should I go for Flash Card technique with Barron 3500 words or is there any other easy way?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, there are different kind of people, for someone cramming Flashcards is easier way to study, for someone practice and reading is more effective.

    As for me, the fastest way to learn the words is Flashcards, but problem is that quality of learning will be not as good as reading or practice. Actually reading is the best way to learn the words but it's really time consuming.

    What I will suggest - if you have not much time start flashcards and practice on them. There's excellent book from barrons called Essential Words for the GRE, it contains wordlists and then also practice on those words that were learned. The problem is that practice in that book is for old GRE :(

    Also good way to learn the words is when they are grouped with similar meaning. That was as I remember in Kaplan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I have my GRE tomorrow... lets see, any advice?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Bane, I need a suggestion, which of the two is more feasible-- GRE Paper-Based test or GRE Computer-Based test? And why? (on the basis of the revised GRE Pattern).
    Reply Awaited.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your doing really nice job Bane , keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you know from where I can get pdf version of Stanford Gre Preparation Book.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi I am starting to prepare now. I have 4 months time.I am moderately good with both verbal and quant. I am not sure where to start with.Not opting for coaching, since I cannot afford it. do i get any online classes? how should i start?

    ReplyDelete
  17. u mentioned about the manhattan series..but i dont find them in ur blog..can i download the gmat version of the same??

    ReplyDelete
  18. hiii..
    i am unable to find big book(ets) online.can you please help me???
    mail me at srin92@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi bane , i found Kaplan gre premier 2013 ,or should i get Kaplan "New GRE Premier 2011-2012" as you mentioned ?

    ReplyDelete
  20. The newer book the better it is, cause most of the books above were published even before the format of GRE has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey i am in btech 3rd yr.i am planning to give gre next year.can u suggest me a plan for it?as in...which coaching centre to join?which books i should refer....
    i am totall blank about gre....all i know is "i want to do ms"

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey... i am searching for the MANHATTAN GRE SERIES... i have looking every where for this book... could you please... please for heaven sake upload it.!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Trying to find Manhattan set of strategies and was unsuccessful :(

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Bane.. My GRE is on 13th sept.. ie about 8 days from now.. Can you please suggest good material for RCs.. and AWA too.. Please please reply as soon as possible..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Please Please Please Upload the Manhattan GRE Prep Series....Please. And thank you so much for all the materials you've uploaded. I means so much. The only thing missing is the Manhattan Series. PLEASE upload it and quickly....Running out of time for practicing for GRE......PLEASE I literally BEG YOU! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is AWESOME thank you very very much.Is it possible to you to upload "MANHATTAN GRE" books??.Help I need it badly.Thanks in advance.

    jeven007@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Please upload the Manhattan GRE prep series! Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. please gimme link of Kaplan gre premier 2013.......MANHATTAN GRE" books.....

    ReplyDelete
  29. hey how you doing!
    mail me mannhattan test series and 501 text equivalence questions(not sentence completion)
    thnks dude
    dhairyanair321@gmail.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. thanks for this website! Where is powerprep test? Can't find it!
    Also can we torrent mahattan?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi bane,

    Thanks for providing people with so much help. I looking for some of the last edition gre books (gruber, kaplan, barron´s...) because I already studied the 2012 editions and i´m looking for more practising before taking my exam. Is there any way to get them without paying too much money?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi bane.i read all of your advice completely.That's really great advice for preparation.I want to start my gre preparation in the next year-2013.What's your advice for me.I also need some uploaded gre books for my preparation. sharifulislammollik@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello All if anyone is looking for Manhattan's Series 2nd Edition, you can find it on www.thepiratebay.org

    In the Search Section type: Manhattan's GRE there you will find book numbers: 2,3 &5 for maths and English: 7&8. The only books missing is 1,4&6 these are also for maths.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello Bane, First of all thanks for your advice on all the sections, it will be more helpful if you can provide links for the Manhattan's 2nd Edition, so that we can follow the book, and also help others.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey hi
    how to practice for analytical writing ?
    plz reply asap

    ReplyDelete
  36. what should be the approach for starting off with new gre plan my maths is very weak and want to make it my strenght can u suggest the way to go about with it so i can end up doing things systematically and end up with a good score

    ReplyDelete
  37. Manhattan GRE Is On torrent site www.extratorrent.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello Bane, I have a question and based on your expertise i believe you can help me. I was studying for the GMAT but evaluating my options I decided tthat it was better for me to present de GRE. My exam is in september 9, I'm really good at math but i need to practice the most i can, what book do you recommend me to prectice from?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Bane i have 20 days to my gre can u help me to guide how to go with my preparation

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Bane am heavily devastated, i took my test 2day n i had N148 and N149. I am so confused, i intend to retake the test as soon as possible any suggestion for me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  41. what is the different between old gre and new gre?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Bane,
    I am through with Kaplan, Barrons & ETS books. My next targets are Gruber's & Manhattan. Should I skip the strategies & only go through the questions? Or is there something that these books(Gruber & Manhattan) have over the other 3 books(Kaplan, Barrons, ETS). I have over a month's time for my gre.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Bane,
    I need to improve the verbal wordlist. so pl can you suggest some important books to refer/go-through

    ReplyDelete
  44. please tell me from where the gre books ca be downloaded? i.e tell me link.I am from Pakistan.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Download Latest IELTS, TOEFL, KET, GRE, Dictionary & other books from  "Unknown Way Searcher" 

    ReplyDelete